Tuesday, December 23, 2014

AGREE WITH/ ON/ TO

AGREE WITH/ ON/ TO


Naturally, you often hear people say: "I agree with you". This means that the speaker accepts the opinion of someone else. However, this structure is so common that most people seem to forget about other uses of "agree" like "agree to" or "agree on".

As requested by a friend, I will provide some basic information about them.

Here, only the object is different:
- To agree with somebody/something = accepting somebody/something's opinion.
- To agree on something (some issues) = accepting the fact that the discussed issue is right.
- To agree to a demand/query/do something.

Examples:
-I agree with John because he is right (I share the same opinion with John).
-They agree on that issue (they have the same opinion on the issue)
-He agreed to her requests (he responded positively to her request).
-He agreed to do my homework for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bach, how about "agree something"? Can you tell me how to use this phrase?

    ReplyDelete