Sunday, August 30, 2015

ANIMAL IDIOMS & PHRASES

ANIMAL IDIOMS & PHRASES

Most idioms are from the past, and at that time people spent more time with animals than with machines. Therefore, quite a few idioms include animals in them. In this post, I will give some examples for animal idioms, which can be pretty handy.
Hold your horses - www.buzzle.com

Hold your horses:
Wait.
E.g. "Hold your horses! I am not done with this yet."

As fat as a pig:
Common phrase, which describe a person who is really fat.
E.g. "If you keep eating junk food, you will become as fat as a pig soon!"

Busy as a bee:
Very busy.
E.g. "She is as busy as a bee. She works from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.!"

Hungry as a bear:
Very hungry.
E.g. "I haven't eaten for 2 days, so I am hungry as a bear!"

Cat's got one's tongue:
Someone who doesn't speak a lot, due to shyness.
E.g. "I think cat's got Mat's tongue because he is so quite since the beginning."

Copy cat:
A person who does the same thing as other people.
E.g. "John's such a copycat! She copies everything that I do at school!"

Dog days:
Very hot days.
E.g. "These are dog days. Sometimes the temperature goes up to 45ÂșC."

Fishy:
When you sense that something is suspicious.
E.g. "I think there is something fishy about this deal, because nobody would trade such a big thing for a very little thing like that."

Ants in one's pants:
To become nervous or unable to remain calm.
E.g. "I had ants in my pants before I had to make a speech."

Chicken out:
To choose not to do something due to fear.
E.g. "Bob chickened out at the scary ride yesterday."

2 comments: